Saturday, January 22, 2011

Bloom Where You're Planted


My mother has a problem with this statement. I can't remember exactly what she said was wrong with it, but something about growing where you're planted, instead of blooming, but I think blooming is much much better. Is it enough to just grow? Why just get a little bigger when you can grow and bloom!!! I think the blooming involves joy and walking in your spiritual gifts and really making the world around you a better place. Just think what would happen if we never walked past something without making a difference, regardless of how small... If we saw a piece of trash and picked it up even if we didn't put it there, or smiled at a crying baby, or told a frustrated young mom, that this too shall pass, or even pray for a situation that needed some covering? All too often I have been extremely guilty of just passing it by and thinking "shame on whoever through that piece of trash there" or "goodness that baby is a brat, can't that mom get it to be a little quieter?" This is our world. We were put here to be Jesus's hands and feet. Did he leave the hard jobs for anyone else, or did he jump right in with both feet and speak up?


I am visiting my sister in Abilene and just enjoying the ability I finally have to bless her in an amazing way. I love her so much, but more than that, every once in a while, the planets align, and I am able to just come up and act like a kid in a candy store... what do you need? lets get it. What are your heart's desire? Done. I remember times when things were so tight for me and my little family, and she would write a check to me for the money to make the groceries, or whatever we needed at that time. She was my blessing, she made me see the love of Jesus at a time when I was just learning about Him, for real, at work in a personal way in my life. This woman is amazing, preparing for graduation, with a 4.0 mind you, with 2 kids tagging along. For anyone who doesn't think this is a huge undertaking, consider the sacrifice that goes into something like that. Constantly giving, constantly running, never having a minute to yourself, to do what you want to do, to breathe peacefully. With all the things that come with kids in 2 parent households, there is a break, someone else to keep the fire for a minute while you relax in the tub, or take a nap while the other runs to the store, but when you are on your own, it is a very different situation.

She has bloomed. She has blessed, even when where she has been planted has no heat for a couple of days when it drops to 32 outside. When there is no gas money and the cross necklace has to be tearfully sold.

She is reaching for the Son each day, blooming and helping each other bloom. Praise the Lord for her. Praise the Lord for provision in my life so that I can be a conduit. It is amazing.


Blessed to be a blessing,

Allison

No comments: