Monday, September 7, 2009

Revolutionary


There is a song by beautiful Bethany Dillon called, "Revolutionaries" and it talks about how if we all just loved each other the way that Jesus has loved us, we would be called revolutionary. I have been reading this amazing book called "Blue Like Jazz" by Donald Miller. It narrates his personal journey from believing in God through living a life that is godly. He is not anything like a fundamentalist or a evangelist, or anything like that, it is just the tale of his real life human journey through selfishness and egomaniacal living that each and every one of us deal with ( or choose not to) and have to come to grips with in order to live the way our Savior has called us to live. I love the book. It is really giving me so much to think about. In tandem with my bible studies through Grand Canyon U and sermons at Gateway, it has me thinking.

How revolutionary would it be if we just introduced Jesus to people by our actions and not any of our words? If we fed those who needed to be fed, clothed those who needed to be clothed, and served all people around us in love. Really. Not the give 10 bucks so church can feed the needy, but if we rolled up our sleeves and fed some people. Not on holidays, but throughout the year when nobody is looking. What would happen? We could start a revolution.

What if we told people our stories so they would know how amazing Jesus is, but didn't give ourselves any credit at all? What if we just focused on what He did? What if we just looked around, saw a need, met it, and kept going instead of pausing for recognition, or thanks, or anything?

We are nothing. We have nothing. We can't do anything on our own. It all boils down to 2 things: Knowing Jesus and making Him known. Not me. Not how smart I am, how "together" I have it. I don't want people to spend time with me and see Allison. I want people to spend time with me and feel as if they have been loved by the Father. I want people to come into my house and feel like they are comfortable, warm, snuggly, and refreshed in the Holy Spirit.

God is so incredibly amazing. He rocks our world, and He does it through Love. We are His hands and feet. I am called to love my 6th graders, my parents, my teachers, my personal family, my own kids, my husband, myself (even when I am disgusting) and people I don't even know.

They will know us by our LOVE.

Revolutionary!

1 comment:

Joanna Ashlock said...

Thank you for such an inspiring thought today. I agree wholeheartedly with you. And just so you'll know, I always felt better and encouraged after talking with you. I miss having you here. Write some more thoughts down! You have excellent ones!